Sunday, August 14, 2016

Subject to Infinite Change

OK, one last post on this blog.  Likely nobody is watching this space anymore; it's been over three years since my last post and the world has, as the man said, moved on. But I just feel like doing it. Call it closure.

Some history is in order, I think. Once upon a time, this was a poker blog. In days gone by, I was a poker blogger. About eight years ago I wrote a post announcing that I was curtailing my blogging and pokering activities to write a novel. Like most grand sweeping pronouncements people make about their goals on social media, this was a steaming raft of cow cookies. I did nothing of the kind.

I did not write my novel. I kept playing online poker. I kept blogging. I became obsessed with the TV show "LOST" to an unhealthy degree. I learned to hate the TV show "Heroes" more than I have ever hated anything in my life. Then, in 2011, the U.S. government shut down all online poker activities in the U.S., or at least placed poker far past the legal threshold of my willingness to pursue it anymore. I cashed my winnings out of PokerStars, used the funds to buy into a smaller 2011 WSOP event, nearly survived the first day—and that was pretty much it for poker and me.

The community that was built around online poker drifted, drifted. Some of you moved over to Twitter, and I know you better than I ever did (that's a good thing). I don't know where the rest of you went, or what you did as blogging and poker went away.

Me? Son of a bitch. I wrote that novel.

It was a lot of work, which is I guess a boring thing to share. I got up early in the morning every day and worked on it for five years. I'm done now. I'm very happy with it. It's what I wanted it to be when I started. Go read the first few chapters, if you are so inclined—I'm going to post the first few. If you like it, tell others. Point them to it. Build awareness. It would really help me out.

Thanks for reading all the silliness I put on here. Your encouragement gave me the rocket fuel of stupid overconfidence I needed to take a poke at my dreams. Those of you who read along as I wrote it (you know who you are)...damn. I owe you. Likely I wouldn't have finished without you.

Now I'm going to try to get an agent and get my book published. We'll see how it goes. If it goes well, that's awesome. If it doesn't...

Son of a bitch. I think I'll write another one.


4 comments:

KajaPoker said...

This could have been a great ant......icipation post. Even legen-wait-for-it-dary one. Now I have to go read your book...

Aussiesmurf said...

Just dropped you an email. Thanks for the superb and humorous writing through the years - Stupid / System remains a classic.

Karen said...

I miss the days when you used to blog. :)

Fara Tot said...

This is a great test blog! I personally love it and find that it!
poker online , judi poker