Monday, June 13, 2011

Goat At The WSOP


One of the first times I ever heard about poker, my mom was telling me that it's how my dad paid for their honeymoon.

Money? For a card game?

Apparently my dad had managed to snag enough money to take his bride on an nice little trip, for nothing but apparently being good at a card game. I was intrigued.

When I first started playing poker online, my hopes were simple. I wanted to take my bride on a trip. And I wanted to play in the WSOP.

I got my cashout from PokerStars last month.  In September, we go on a Caribbean cruise.

And in a couple weeks I am going to go play in Event 48 of the WSOP.  I even have my card capper (a 1978 Dodge Dart) picked out. Hopefully there will be many entertaining blog posts and tweets.  If you are in town, let me know. I'll have a mustache painted on so you'll know it's me.

I am fully aware that this is a crazy and foolish thing to do.  My wife is a beautiful person for being willing to let me do something crazy and foolish like this, just because I have decided that I enjoy this dumb card game and want to take a tilt at a windmill.  I'm sort of looking forward to it. 

Wish me luck.

ETA - Image from Dave Sim's great Cerebus collection High Society, which you should buy and read.

9 comments:

SmBoatDrinks said...

GL! I'll be there the same week..... oh and I make & sell windmills too if you want to buy one of those with your PokerStars cashout!

Julius_Goat said...

Sweet man, come find me. I'll buy you a ... well, a small boat drink, obviously.

MHG said...

Best of luck! Can't wait to read about it. If the word verification has any fortune telling capability, either the WSOP or your cruise will be "flogible"!

PokahDave said...

GoodLuckGoat!

SirFWALGMan said...

gl. Paying her off with the trip before hand was brilliant! What is she going to say "no" after that? Not a chance!

TuscaloosaJohnny said...

Good luck sir. I'll be in Vegas July 8-12. Any of you kids going to be around then?

BLAARGH! said...

gl in vegas dude!

ok - weirdness coming... just bought the kindle version of jack tripper. amazon gives a list of crap that other readers have bought... almost all of the cerebus books are there, some art supplies and hey - have you started swimming?
I can only assume that that was all you... what a crazy invasion of privacy.
Maus is friggin awesome though.

Josie said...

gl gl gl!!

jamyhawk said...

good luck!