Saturday, June 7, 2008

Hiatus

"Hello, I must be going."
-Groucho


Well, kids, I think it's time for me to go write my novel.

The beginnings of it have been collecting dust bunnies for a half-decade now, as I fiddle around, and I need to find the thread again. This will require lots of reading, lots of thinking, and of course lots of writing. All this takes great horking gobs of time, of course, and there's only one place from which I can reasonably and responsibly borrow time.

And that would be poker.

So, starting July 1, no more poker for me. Zip. Zilcho. The big card nap. I'll probably hit the Donkament through June, hit a couple guarantee tournies, and I'm toying with taking a shot at the Sunday million or the 750K as a swan song.

I'll see where I am on January 1, 2009, and decide if I'm in enough of a groove to bring poker back on in a limited capacity. I don't know what the metric for allowing poker back will be yet, but I'll have to have a fairly strong and obvious habit of self-disciplined productivity before I bring another hobby into the mix. I intend to have a finished saleable product in 2009.

I am very interested these days in what new media has to offer in terms of distributorship and publishing. It seems that the old models of huge conglomerate publisher with middleman distributors and agents all taking a piece is starting to die. It's a new ball game, and if you can find your audience, you can be top dog in the cat fight.

This is my path. Content is king, if you can generate it.

I hope someday to give the PoBlogSphere first crack at reading my book. There's a partially visible man named Gordy I want you to meet. There's a pair of sandals named Julius. There's a bearded lady, who's HELLO MY NAME IS sticker claims is called "Jane". There's a lottery ticket unlike any other. There's a fountain hidden in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. There's something hidden under the fountain. There's much much more.

In case you're worried (and if you're not, no offense taken, I don't blame you) this blog isn't going anywhere; I intend to keep posting regularly or semi-regularly. But it will become much more the blog of a writer-in-training than a document of the ups and downs of a bad, bad poker player. You're going to get my warm up stories, musings on fiction, perhaps some excerpts from the novel. Stupid/System and other sundry comic musings will arrive when inspiration strikes. I'll be updating FilmChaw (movie reviews make good warm-up exercises). I'll honor Donkavatar requests, though perhaps not as quickly as before. I'll be reading you. I'll be commenting. How can I not? You all brought me back to writerly life.

Thank you for being a kind and receptive audience. You've convinced me to get back off my duff and do the thing that makes my soul dance the cha-cha. For some of you, it's poker. For me, its this.

If I do return to poker, you'll see me first at the bloggaments.

Be excellent to each other.

22 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Best thing I have read all month! Take it down writerboy.

change100 said...

Best of luck to you and I look forward to reading it!

Mike Maloney said...

Party on, dude.

Just make sure to continue writing about LOST next year.

Astin said...

Absolutely fantastic news man! Best of luck... I can't wait to see it!

OhCaptain said...

I'll miss seeing you on the felt, but be looking forward to seeing what this time will let you create.

Congrats on taking this step.

Best of luck to you!

$mokkee said...

does anyone read books anymore?

gotta be someway you can turn it into a reality show and really cash in.

STeelerJosh said...

Second the LOST writing comment and I wish you all the best with the novel.

Curious to see the direction this blog will take and confident that good writing is good writing. I suspect this Goat still has a lot to say....

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

You're the man! Good luck sir!

RaisingCayne said...

Best of luck!

Tmo said...

Good luck with the endeavor. I third the LOST comment. I was hoping to play with you at the Blogger tourney but we never ended up on the same table.

HighOnPoker said...

I'd buy any book written by the Goat. Good luck.

Gunslinger said...

I would also definitely read anything that you produce. Good luck!

Shrike said...

I admire someone really going for a dream. Can't wait to read a draft. ;)

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

When is Stupid/System being published?

Best of luck man. As you know I have no doubts you will succeed.

pokertart said...

Can't wait to read the finished product!

PokahDave said...

Good luck with the writing...we'll all be checkin' in!

Julius_Goat said...

Yes, I'll keep up the LOST posts. It's just like 10 weeks out of the year, anyway.

Hoy, I can't see why people would buy a published Stupid/System since it's available free here and now, but I'll put up a survey.

Mondogarage said...

Be well, Goatboy -- we all look forward to seeing what these next few months bring from you, in words.

pokerpeaker said...

This is great news, Goat. I can't wait to read your book, as long as 1,573 college sorority girls are slaughtered.

Dr. Pauly said...

Good luck. I will publish excerpts for Truckin.

grieta said...

great post. would be interested in a link exchange? Do let me know.

PokerGuy said...

Hey maybe you want some money to help you out I'd like to buy a link on your website please tell me prices at str8flush420@hotmail.com