Monday, May 5, 2008

New Blog By Julius_Goat

You know how it is. You're reading "The_Goat_Speaks", and you idly think to yourself, "I do like this guy's fake strategy guide and meandering song parodies, but what does he think about random old movies?"

No? Never? You'd rather eat otter eyes?

I'll take that as a 'yes'.

You're in luck!

I was not always the poker blogger loser you see before you. Why, in my youth, I was a completely different sort of character entirely. I was a movie reviewer loser. This was back in prehistoric times, before blogs took over. I designed the site myself. I even used html to make web links. Clearly, I was a big-time programmer.

I titled the site "FilmChaw" for reasons known to none, and off I went. I was joined by my buddy, who for these purposes will only be known as The Mad Valdez. This Latvian gentleman is an installer of bathroom fixtures by day, but he has excellent taste in movies and a complete disinclination to ever proofread his work for spelling and grammar. He's never once made sense in print in all the time I've known him. He's awesome. One year and literally tens of hits later, my twin daughters were born, and I decided that the pittance I was paying to host the site wasn't worth it anymore. RIP, FilmChaw.com

Anyway, I'm dragging it (or at least the concept) out of the attic and I think I'm bringing the Mad Valdez with me. I'm betting we can knock down a few posts a week. A new blog! By the guy who brought you that one poker post that kind of made you giggle that one time! About movies!

I can feel the sweet tension of anticipation.

A few other points, and then I'm done.

1) I'm not reviewing new movies for the most part. If I go see one that tickles my fancy, then sure. But for the most part you're not going to find what's in theaters, or whether or not it's worth your dough. This isn't that kind of a site. I'm also not probably going to review a lot of cookie-cutter formulaic stuff. I don't tend to watch those types of movies, and even when I do, there's really not much to write about.

This also means that there will be a preponderance of reviews of movies I think are good, and not many negative ones. Simple, really. I'll go see crap movies when I'm being paid to see crap movies. Not before.

2) There's going to be a major focus on little-seen gems, and particularly movies from the past. If I have any hopes about this project, it's to expand the perspective of what is available, and to stretch the boundaries of any hapless reader's Netflix queue. One guy I talk to fairly regularly claimed to have never seen a movie made before 1980. That's awful. Since he's proud of the fact, though, I'll link him up.

Nothing but love, Hoy.

To that end, I'm starting off with my favorite movie of 1948. It's about ballet.

If that doesn't pack the poker bloggers in, I don't know what will.

3) There are two major film aesthetics that I notice. One group sees movies pretty much as entertainment, a good story, that's it. The other group appreciates "film as art". The first group tends to be a little reductive in terms of what makes a good viewing experience. The second group tends to be a bunch of pantywaist snobs.

I'm in both camps. That is to say, I'm a reductive pantywaist snob. However, I will say this: If you're not inclined to view movies as art on the same level as (say) a painting or a novel or a fine bottle of wine . . . you're not going to have much patience for this site, or probably for the movies I review on it.

4) I'm including clips of the movies I review as I find them on YouTube. Total spoilers in all of these.

5) This means you won't have to suffer through movie crap on this supposed poker blog. (And all the people rejoiced.)

I'm out of ado. No further ado.

Behold. FilmChaw.

4 comments:

pokerpeaker said...

Have you seen the new Indiana Jones? You should totally review that.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I just googled it and, as I suspected, the "movie" as a form of art was not invented until Back to the Future in 1985.

Nice try. You really are a jokester.

KajaPoker said...

oh no goat. you can't possibly start a blog to compete with CineJax!

Daaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn Yoooooouuuu!

Julius_Goat said...

Hopefully this will get you guys writing on Cinejax again, Kaj.

Be a shame if one Goat lapped both you guys in output.