Tuesday, April 1, 2008

LOST 016: Multiple Man, Multiple Man, Doing the Things A Multiple Can

L O S T

OK, first, real dumb, ABC. It was only an accident that I caught this episode. Am I the only person who didn't know they were showing a new one on Monday??? I don't watch other shows, so maybe I missed all the (I'm sure) copious ads, but why throw a bonus episode -- especially such a crucial one -- at a new time?

Anyway, what an episode! Seriously, my mind is reeling; I don't think I took a breath for the last five minutes. When Locke picked up the gun, I knew he was going to shoot, but I didn't think he'd shoot who he wound up shooting, you know? At least now we know why Kate adopted Aaron. Poor kid, he won't even get a chance to have bad relationships with his real parents like everybody else on the island.

Also, right before Locke fired, we heard the whispers.

And look how that cracks everything wide for what I was saying last time. It's going to be a while before I am able to follow all the threads, but obviously this is the central event of the season. Everybody who followed Locke clearly can't have anything to do with him now; he was manipulated by the increasingly Gollum-like Ben into doing just what Ben wants. And now they'll be looking for a leader. Who? Ben, of course. Who is going to recruit all of them, Sayid included, to his side. Meanwhile, major props to anybody who saw that Miles was in cahoots with everybody's favorite mass murderor. $3.2 million was a code after all. Guess Michael wasn't Ben's only man on the boat. It's like in The Departed when [SPOILER] we find out that Matt Damon isn't Jack's only man on the inside. [END SPOILER]

This pretty clearly explains why Hurley apologizes to Jack for going with Locke, and why Miles knows that "Kevin Johnson" isn't Michael's real name.

Meanwhile, back on the boat, what is with all the Minkowskis? Holy multiplicity! I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the BOAT, and not the island, that is putting off some serious time-warping vibes. Minkowski here, Minkowski there, Minkowski, Minkowski, everywhere. You know we're going to see that lady who jumped into the ocean wearing all those chains sometime soon. I don't know what ANY of the sequence on the boat means, and I'm a little annoyed that we didn't get to see any of what happened to Michael. Or, for that matter, Alex and (hope hope) Rousseau.

Finally, right at the end, as Locke is hustling away, we see Walt. Spooky Walt. And then . . . unwind my mind and rethread my head, that's where it all falls into place. This is the moment that everything in LOST has been building toward for three seasons, I think.

So what do we make of that final shocking image?

For Sure

1) That ain't Walt.

2) That ain't Locke, and probably hasn't been since . . . the crash? Episode 4? It's hard to say, and I'm guessing that at some point Jacob/Smokemonster absorbed the life essense of both Locke AND Walt. We've seen a lot of Locke's doubts and emotions, and a lot of non-Jacob type soul searching. I'm guessing it actually happened to Locke as recently as when he was shot. Perhaps he really died in that pit, or was absorbed, or whatever, before it happened.

3) The Locke we saw in flashforward is not the real Locke, obviously. So, how did Jacob get off the island? Or . . .

IS it Locke? The real Locke? Remember, he cut himself on that glass. He's back in the wheelchair. He seems very human. Perhaps this "off island reality" is where absorbees (which is what I'm calling them until somebody suggests something better) go following absorbtion.

Locke's back to being the most likely coffin-filler. I'm hoping they give him a heroic death, the poor sap.


Questions:

1) Who is the "Walt" that left the island? We saw him in the window during Michael's flashback.

2) Could Multi-kowski be Jacob on the boat? This seems pretty likely, actually.

3) Maybe the people who the island won't "let" kill themselves are absorbees. Hmmm. Perhaps the whole island is some kind of parasite . . .

4) Jacob has almost certainly "absorbed" others. Pretty sure that he's done so to all the dead on the island (maybe not Nikki and Paolo because they are annoying) even Eko's brother was absorbed when that plane landed on the island, but is there anybody else who is a ringer like Locke? Ben, anybody?

Desmond?

The Oceanic Six? All of them?


Oh my. I guess that will REALLY be it until they come back from the break. We'll just have to wait and see. I think we're getting a Jack episode next, and I never thought I would be looking forward to one of those.

Join us next time when we hear Claire say:

whisper whisper whisper whisper


L O S T

8 comments:

Mike Maloney said...

Well played sir, well played. Even got me looking on the torrents to see if I could find a copy of it.

Schaubs said...

LOL.

lj said...

totally fell for it, and i didn't even read more than the first two sentences. i even checked my tivo!

KajaPoker said...

silly goat

PokerFool said...

Add me to the burned list. Bastard!!!!

You just put Hoy on life tilt.

Astin said...

Hmmm... if I cared about LOST, you might have gotten me too. Saved from personal embarassment by television apathy!

And how cool is it that the captcha is bwopta?

HighOnPoker said...

Dude, before I even finish reading this post, let me just tell you that for a split second between your 2nd and 3rd sentence, I went into a silent panic thinking that I missed an episode AND failed to DVR it. Well played, sir. Now, I shall go read the rest...

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Nice work. Donkey punching is always fun.