Saturday, January 5, 2008

Saturday Matinee 001

Time for a little regular feature here at Casa T_G_S. I'll try to keep this one going every Saturday. For the most part, I'm going to do this in the form of a 'guess the screenshot' prize with answers the following Saturday. I may even write a review or two.

If I am feeling expansive, there may be a prize. A small prize. And only if I think the quiz is unsolvable. Look, I'm not a high roller.

The idea here is to expand the Netflix queues of the PoBloSphere. There's nearly 100 years of film history to draw upon, and literally thousands of excellent films that nobody ever considers seeing because, well, nobody's heard of them, or they've heard of them but never thought of them, or they think they've heard of them, thought of them once, stopped thinking of them, and now would be willing to meet for coffee but only in mixed company, and that's it.

The point is, studios pour hundreds of millions of marketing bucks into marketing the NEW! films that are coming out. Some of these are great, most are mediocre, and many are just filthy piles of wretched puking failure. A sliver of the NEW! films get most of the marketing. There is a simple reason for this. It's what makes money. Why would any studio spend a dime to remind you about (say) McCabe and Mrs. Miller, to name a recent screen shot classic? They have to pimp the new ride. But it isn't what makes for the wisest movie choices for you, the consumer. Goat to the rescue! Or, you know, if you don't share my taste, Goat to the long-winded diversion!

So here we go. I'll kick it off with four whole shots. The first one is on my all-time favorites list, the others are all OK to pretty good. Hint: These all have something very specifically the same about them. Three of the four are further tied together in yet another way.

First person who can guess the films and the connections between them, and post their answer in the comments, will get funded to play the Mookie next week. This is my way of saying I think this one is ridiculously hard. Cheating with Google is, as always, totally encouraged.

If you haven't got a clue, send me funny captions!

P.S. These shots don't get bigger if you click on them. I'll be fixing that for most future endeavors.






































4 comments:

meanhappyguy said...

No F'ing clue.

1) "Little Lucy's unlucky day."
2) "Snakes on a Plane 2: Rise of the Purple Snake."
3) "Super Super Action Movie!"
4) "Fight Club"

Carson said...

Invasion of the body snatchers '78
Invasion of the body snatchers '??
Invasion of the body snatchers '93
Body Snatchers

pokerpeaker said...

Hey, Goat, you've got a great blog, and so I'm adding you to my roll. I'm not telling you that so you'll add me, just to say that someone out there is reading and likes it.

Always good for a good writer to hear.

HighOnPoker said...

How much did you pay Peaker for that ringing endorsement?

I just wanted to drop a comment to say that I love the name PoBloSphere. I think we should probably shorten it a bit more to PoBloS. It sounds like some alien planet from Star Trek. Plus, its abbreveriffic!