Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Bends

"Now there's a man with an open mind - you can feel the breeze from here!"
-Groucho

I played Mondays At the Hoy last night.

I played really. . . um. Well, 'skillfully' does not spring to mind. 'Badly' seems to apply.

That isn't entirely fair. Except for one hand, I did all right. Of course, that one hand sent me home in 16th place out of 19 runners for no good reason.

In late position I called a standard raise from the most excellent slb with KQs. Mistake #1.

Ace-high flop, two spades. Approximately pot-size bet from slb. Hmmm.

A reasonable man might fold here. Apparently, I am not a reasonable man.

So, I decided to try to go ahead and push him off his Top pair (my read) by re-raising x3. Mistake #2.

There's a difference, I find, between having TP and TPTK, and that is the difference I ran into.

Slb didn't wait long before pushing the rest of his chips with big slick. Of course, I didn't wait long before calling, even though I'd have still had plenty of chips to play with if I laid it down. Why? Oh, I don't know. Adventure outweighed common sense? I didn't want to be a short stack? It is better to die young and pretty than old and rich? I was feeling it?

The real answer: I had already decided to take this one all the way if I had to before slb even bet. Just wanted to, I guess. Mistake #3.

That's weird. I'm looking through all three volumes of Harington On Hold 'Em, and I don't find his 'Because I Wanted To" chapter.

Anyway, I made a questionable call, followed by brick-brick. Good night.

It's really a change in atmospheric pressure, going from a dead-money fest MTT to a smaller game where everybody is skilled and likely to jam with 72 offsuit. You can get the bends trying to adjust your play. That's my excuse for the old hee-haw, anyway.

No matter. Even if they are horendously -EV, I love those blogger tournaments.

Everybody can spell.

2 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Nice to have you last night, Goat.

And don't worry about that play -- though it was not a good one, don't get me wrong -- but we've all been there more times than we could possibly count. A lot of nights I look back after donking and can see pretty clearly that I knew going in I wasn't really going to have the required patience that night to make a serious run.

And if it makes you feel any better, I went out on a big blind special at the final table with big blinds when it was folded to me on the button with A6s, I standard raise with a fairly small stack, got a call from the bb. The flop comes with an Ace, so I check to be clever, he checks behind. Now I know I've got him. Turn is a rag, I push and he insta-calls with what turns out to be AK. Silly, and basically impossible to avoid. Frankly I'd rather go out like you did in a play that was basically my own decision, rather than being more or less "forced" to make my play and then just dumb-luck running into a huge hand in the bb. Pokerstars will do that to ya though won't it.

Anyways nice to see you again last night, looking forward to playing more with you in the future.

Goat said...

Hoyazo,

Yeah, I'm not beating myself up; I just want to accurately report bad play and good play. Bad play, it happens more than I'd like, but if I have to write about it, maybe I'll do it a little less. I try to keep it humble; poker's a humbling game.

Good point about the lack of patience. If I was in the frame of mind to make that call on a flush draw . . . well, I probably wasn't getting into the money even if I'd seen another spade hit the board and left poor slb a cripple.

I don't have a preferred way of going out. They all suck. Going out on a bad decision, on a good decision, or a middling decision, they all feel about the same for the first hour or so.


Hey, thanks for hosting a good little tourny, and thanks for checking the blog! I like your stuff; as a fellow MTT lover, you give me hope. Come back for seconds if you like what you read.

As the governor of Cal-ee-for-nee-ah once said, 'I'll be back.'